The Elements of Drawing, John Ruskin’s teaching collection at Oxford

The Elements of Drawing, John Ruskin’s teaching collection at Oxford

Browse: 1470 objects

Reference URL

Actions

Send e-mail

Contact us about this object

Send e-mail

Send to a friend

Photograph of Turner's "Saint Martin and Salenche, Savoy" L. Caldesi & Co

  • Details

    Artist/maker
    L. Caldesi & Co (photographer)
    after Turner (Joseph Mallord William Turner) (1775 - 1851)
    Object type
    photograph
    Material and technique
    albumen print
    Dimensions
    189 x 269 mm (print); 265 x 350 mm (mount)
    Associated people
    Associated place
    Inscription
    Recto, all on the mount below the photograph:
    centre: PHOTOGRAPHED BY L. CALDESI & CO. 13. PALL MALL EAST. | THE FARNLEY HALL COLLECTION OF TURNER DRAWINGS. | In the possession of F.H. Fawkes, Esqr.e. | PUBLISHED BY P. & D. COLNAGHI, SCOTT & CO. 13, PALL MALL EAST
    bottom left: No. 42 [the 'No.' engraved, '42' in graphite]
    bottom right: Entered at Stationers Hall.

    On the back of the mount, centre, the Ruskin School's stamp
    Provenance

    Presented by John Ruskin to the Ruskin Drawing School (University of Oxford), 1875; transferred from the Ruskin Drawing School to the Ashmolean Museum, c.1949.

    No. of items
    1
    Accession no.
    WA.RS.ED.130
  • Subject terms allocated by curators:

    Subjects

  • References in which this object is cited include:

    References

    Ruskin, John, Catalogue of the Educational Series (London: Spottiswoode, 1874), cat. Educational no. 130

    Ruskin, John, Catalogue of the Educational Series (London: Smith, Elder, 1871), cat. Educational no. 80

    Ruskin, John, ‘The Ruskin Art Collection at Oxford: Catalogues, Notes and Instructions’, Edward T. Cook and Alexander Wedderburn, eds, The Works of John Ruskin: Library Edition, 39 (London: George Allen, 1903-1912), 21, cat. Educational no. 130

Location

    • Western Art Print Room

Position in Ruskin’s Collection

Ruskin's Catalogues

© 2013 University of Oxford - Ashmolean Museum